Thursday, April 7, 2011

Back to sharing!

After a hiatus from this blog, I am back!

When I first started writing my thoughts here, I was in perimenopause and starting to experience mood swings and itchiness which made life uncomfortable. I kept reminding myself that millions of other women also had their set of challenges, and was grateful that at least I knew how to address them spiritually and holistically.

Now I am in full menopause, and  have good news for all the ladies who are entering the big change: life does get better, the symptoms do go away, or at least subside once the body adjusts to the drop of  hormones. I am fortunate, I do not suffer from hot flashes and the mood swings  have stabilized. WhooOoo! But, what I call "mini panic attacks" which came back during perimenopause, I still deal with on occasion.  I call them "mini panic attacks" as they are not full blown ones, it's just a sense of dread that suddenly sweeps over my body and generally leaves quickly.

How do I manage the mini panic attacks? I take inositol which has helped me tremendously. Inositol is part of the vitamin B-complex and it's is required for proper formation of cell membranes. Inositol affects nerve transmission and helps in transporting fats within the body. It has been used for anxiety, OCD and even lowers cholesterol levels.

There are no known levels of toxicity so it's generally a safe supplement to take. However use your wisdom and always check the precautions of all herbs and supplements. I recommend this supplement to strangers, friends, family and customers. It's that helpful!

Inositol for panic disorder (women who are pregnant should not take Inositol as it can induce uterine contractions)

http://www.nutritionalsupplementscenter.com/info/HealthSupplement/inositol.html

Since I am a fan of mindful living, and enjoy teachers such as Eckhart Tolle, I have learned to observe the panic feeling coming over me without creating more internal drama. I detach and know rationally, nothing "terrible" is going to happen, that it's simply a wave coming over me, and it will go away. For me, this approach has worked! The panic feeling generally leaves within a few minutes. On the rare occasion when it doesn't, I detach and deal with it well.

The combination of inositol and detachment has basically eliminated the panic attacks. I am grateful for the natural approaches available to us because instead of putting a band aid over a symptom, we are actually healing and strengthening our minds and bodies.

Off to take my inositol before going to sleep.... 

No comments: