Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Stereotypes

Its strange... here I am approaching full menopause and I don't really feel any different. Oh, yes, I have matured (I hope!) in some areas in my life, and regressed (I hope!) in others, such as letting the silly child in me fully burst out laughing at the most inopportune moments, but no way is menopause fitting the stereotype of my younger years, where we become old hags, and neither does it for my friends and family. Sure, there may be some hormonal discomforts for some women which can be addressed, without having to conform to stereotypes of raging lunatics being possessed by PMS.

When I think of the menopausal baby boomers in my life and what they are doing, I think of my sister taking dancing lessons in Flamenco and fulfilling her life long dream of traveling to Greece even after the death of her son two years ago, (now this woman is an inspiration!) but never had the time to do because of business commitments; she grieves but has the courage to continue living for herself and in memory of her boy. I think of her friend, Mary who also has a passion for dancing, and finds joy with the simplest things. I think of Sue, who made drastic changes in her life and moved from Chicago to be with her soulmate in Virginia and lives a peaceful life, filled with plenty of wonder and growth which often brings her God tears of gratitude.

What do all these women from very different backgrounds and ethnicity have in common? They all are young in spirit and have an open mind and heart. They all have allowed for changes to take place in how they relate to life and are not shy about feeling joyful. How we feel deep within us, influences the energy we exude, overriding the stereotypes of the different cycles of our lives.

No comments: